Sunday, April 27, 2008

Testimonial to Shailya.


This post is completely dedicated to my best friend. It's more for me to write than for you to read, actually. Writing is becoming therapeutic.
So, Shailya. My best friend. Whose moving away in... let me see... 6 days. We cannot boast of a friendship that has spanned decades, like some of my friends can.
We met just two years back, on July 27th, 2006. Our friendship strangely, was instantaneous. Well, not technically. A mutual friend introduced us, and I just smiled and said hi. That was it. But then later, we had this whole-class drill, from which we were both chucked out. For lack of better company, we started talking, and I could make out she was a lot of fun. We chatted about completely random things, now that I come to think of it.

We had these rough patches too. We were put in different sections, which really did have a (bad) impact. First, I had this "gang" in my section. And in the 9th std., we grew so close, and there was a tiny point of time where I actually held them in higher regard than Shells. Then I came to my senses. After that, me and Shailya grew closer than we've ever been. The gang disintegrated with time, though I consider a few people who were in it some of my closest friends.
The one thing that draws people to her like bees to honey is her niceness. She's so goddamned sweet, you wouldn't believe it. She'll say yes to anything you ask her. People kind of take advantage of that, which I hate. But the picture I've been painting of her isn't exactly accurate. I've been talking all mushy.

The fun times I've had with her are too many to count. We get absolutely drunk (not literally!!) sometimes. We laugh crazily, with absolutely no reason whatsoever. Some words/actions which seem completely normal to the third person, start us off. God, just thinking about it makes me smile. :) Though our friendship hasn't been on for a lifetime, we've certainly got a lifetime of fun/sentimental/happy memories with us.

Her tolerance. Geez, if I was in her place, I'd have chucked me a loooong time ago. About 90% of the other friends she has, I hate. I can't stop bitching about them in her presence, and she just smiles tiredly and takes it. Whoa!

And now, she's leaving, back to where she came from. She tells me she doesn't want to leave, but the rest of her family is homesick for Mumbai. We threw her a surprise party yesterday, just a tiny group of her closest friends. She fell for it completely, and adored the pink teddy bear we got her (yes, the subject of my previous post!). It was awesome. :)

Bye Bye Shells! I'll miss you!

2 comments:

  1. "whose" moving away'? change that please! bothers me. "I'd have chucked me" ???
    seriously?
    But i let it go, for its a long time ago, but its a sweet dedication i guess, but language too colloquial, then again this is more of a letter than a piece

    ReplyDelete