Friday, May 4, 2012

The Jester


The jester whirls around the courtyard, the bells in his ridiculous hat tinkling. Laughter presses down upon him from every side, jeering laughter, amused laughter, polite laughter. He whirls. His painted face displays a big crimson smile slapped upon his mouth by a bristly paintbrush. The paint, so roughly daubed on by his wife, still burns. Yet, never does he allow his smile to droop, lest his painted leer get distorted. Someone throws a tomato near his feet, that he misses just by luck of his momentum that pulls him the other way. Poor aim, thinks the jester. The laughter of a thousand must be real loud, he wonders, yet it is eerily silent within his head – only the tinkles of the annoying bells near his ears disturb his meditative reverie.

He vaguely hears the squeals of the little princess on the lap of her daddy on the throne. He dares a glance and sees her clap her hands in excitement of this huge celebration in her honour. There are apples and apple punch, moist meat on a stick – so fresh it is still dripping with the blood of some poor cow, sweet ale flowing and funny jesters dancing. Funny jesters dancing, what a riot it is! What really is so funny about a man with a painted smile spinning around in circles as though his heart depends on it? Well, his heart depends on it. Maybe that’s why it's so funny.

The cruel king on a vicious whim, the jesters had whispered among themselves. Their chains had been removed and they’d been led out of their dungeon their eyes had grown accustomed to, and allowed to go home. Our particular jester had gone home after three years, only to find his wife in bed with another man, the local bodybuilder-cum-barber. He looked flabby. The jester grimaces at the memory, but quickly readjusts his face so his smile doesn’t wilt. His wife unsmilingly painted his smiling face as per the king’s orders and drove him out of the house to the Carnival.

“Hear ye, hear ye”, screamed the pageboy with the wobbly hat at the centre of the Central Square. “The king has pronounced a Royal Competition amongst these criminals – he who shall entertain the Princess the best shall live while the others all die.” The crowd had snickered, loving a good beheading. And today there would be twenty-three of them.

The jester is smacked out of his musing as he bumps into someone else dancing for his life. Ah, it’s Ol’ Tom, his large stomach barely contained in the ill-fitting jester costume he had been handed. Funny, thinks our jester. The ill fit is funny. He whirls, and doesn’t notice the hysteria on Tom’s face because he’s so pre-occupied with the button that seems close to popping out at the widest part of Tom’s belly.

As he whirls he glimpses his wife in the crowd, her eyes trained on him. Bitch’s probably praying I die. Her body-builder friend stands beside her. He’s probably taking a break from showing off his muscles in the Freak Square and barbering the folks who throw him a penny. His well-defined chest glistens with steroid-laced sweat, dripping down his abs into his ridiculously tiny underwear that is striped red and yellow for the occasion. Funny. His wife had hated his red-yellow-striped tie.

Ol’ Tom’s button finally snaps and hits our jester in the forehead. The crowd laughs even louder. Blood trickles down the jester’s face and he accidentally inhales some of it. He snorts, and the snort turns into a laugh. Soon the laugh turns into a guffaw and before he knows it, the jester finds himself on the cobbled street on his knees with tears streaming down his eyes at the hilarity. Bad time for a laughing fit, he manages to think between choking breaths. Central Square is silent as the crowd and the other criminals uncomprehendingly watch him laugh himself to his death. Funny. Ol’ Tom looks concerned. The concern twists up his piggy face even more comically than the hysteria did, and our jester laughs louder.

Suddenly one other noise joins the jester’s chortling and the crowd, like a cow, swings its head to find the source of the noise. The jester is curious too. Amidst his titters (titters, such a funny word!) he turns and finds to his mirth the little princess giggling at the dotty jester.

“Daddy, I pick him!”

27 comments:

  1. Dark. Dark dark humour. Like the bitter taste of red wine. I don't know why that came to mind.
    I like it. I guess it's supposed to leave questions lingering but I think maybe a little fleshing out of the jester himself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to leave a lot to the imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that part but I think that some of your ideas could be built into something bigger if you started looking at deepening the characters and giving the story more layers. Just an idea.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, that is an idea :). Wanted to make this pretty crisp, but if I wanted to lengthen it, I will definitely add more layers to this. I gave him a whiff of a background though, an unhappy marriage et al. But yes, there's a lot of potential to flesh out the character, as you said.

      Delete
  3. Better than the last one for sure. But which one is Shanky and which one is Bhat in this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know this is a difficult sort of genre to write on. I like the irony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sparked by a bout of randomness. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Lol .. that was soo random. But an entertaining read nonetheless. It's one of those stories where you can find layers of meaning behind every little thing (but not red and yellow striped underwear .. where the fuck did that come from?!), because there's so little out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What style! And you totally embraced the randomness in a good manner and poured out such a tragic, touching tale with hidden messages and all! Bravo!
    As I interpret the ending, I see the princess pointing to ol’ Tom! Our jester was anyway bound to die. Ol’ Tom was the only one whose name we know. And obviously he will be the one to survive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yay Guddu :D. Thank you. Well, I didn't really write it with Ol' Tom being who the got saved in my mind, but that's a pretty interesting interpretation!

      Delete
  7. Aw, dude, I love it :)
    Your writing has definitely matured over the years.
    The anonymity and the slightly vague style of writing leaves much to the imagination which works here for a quick, good read!
    Very nice, more frequent updates hereon?
    I'll be watching you (In a totally non-creepy, nice way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, don't count on the frequent updates! It's just that time of the year when I actually write on my blog! It shall pass, soon enough. :P

      Delete
  8. Honest grammar doubt: Can you use "bitch's" as a contraction of "bitch is"?

    Anyway, what's with the Hunger Games influence? 24 picked, 23 die, exact same number as The Hunger Games, no?

    I don't know how what else to say, other than pretty good. I have no idea who doesn't die in the end though, that makes me sad.

    I have a nice mental image of the grunts from Arkham Asylum/City games spinning around like fools, all high.

    Conclusion: Could use more Batman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I really don't know if bitch's is allowed, tbh. I should look that up and change it if it's wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.
      And really? The Hunger Games reference is a total coincidence, I haven't read the books or watched the movie yet.
      And hahaha, Ashwin, your comments make me laugh :D. Thank you :D.
      PS - I'd have used Batman, but I don't like the movies, and haven't read the comics. (Don't kill me.)

      Delete
    2. Yes, Hunger Games has the same basic plot, from what I've heard, not read books nor seen the movies, same as you.

      And I'm glad they make somebody laugh, nobody laughs at anything I say. Except me. Haha. So thank you.

      You don't like the Nolan films? I don't want to be your friend anymore, to be quite honest.

      You could always use more Batman. Always. If you like, I could add some Batman to your story and give it you. I assure you Batman makes everything better.

      Well, I don't think I could write for you, since it would probably end up as slash fic, and I don't think you nor your readers will want to see that.

      Delete
  9. Naaaice !!! Quite a unique style of writing...for a moment, I really was absorbed by the man's thoughts... And an excellent way to end the story... Really enjoyed it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome :). I really liked the open-ended-ness of the piece. You can see it any way depending on your mood/general outlook. You could see a very happy ending for the jester if you're being optimistic, and at the same time you could also view it through irony tinted glasses (like me) and see a pretty gruesome ending. I love your writing style and the flow your stories generate in your readers. Your writing style also means that I hardly need to make an effort in order to conjure up a mental image of the scenes depicted. In short, I want to say, write more often dumbass! Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epic comment whore is Epic!

    Damn evil you are. Poor fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IIT has made you dark(er) I see. That said , good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. VERY well written. The piece is open to perspective and dark. Lot of hidden meaning and very well put. Ending line is batshit brilliant :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant piece! :)
    Liked the whole setting and your description of the jester's mindset!

    ReplyDelete
  15. *Titters* haha wow this is really good albeit darker then I remember your writing to be but hell Ill be the last one to complain about that xD and for the record I may or may not be rohan :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY mysterious! Thanks Rohan (or is it?!) :D.

      Delete
  16. Well written :)

    Addictive and yes, will keep me hooked to this place i suppose! :D
    P.S: Would have loved to know about the state of the twenty three others.. :P

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  17. Right amount of sarcasm and cold-blooded black humor.

    Thought the writing would be pretentious when I read the first paragraph but really got into it by the end.

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sometimes the emotions were a little muddled, but i loved it. would you consider writing a poem around this theme, or with such an atmosphere?

    ReplyDelete