Thursday, December 3, 2009

Different

He sat on his bed, hugging his legs as close as he could to his chest. Maybe, he thought, just maybe if he held them tight enough he would stop breathing, an all of this would be over.
Why did he have to open his big, fat mouth? Till last week he was Adrian Cherian. Till last week he was one of the school's best football players. Till last week he had at least 3 friends who he considered his best, the kind who would never let him down. Then he started fancying one of them. It wasn't a girl either.
It started off with Adrian wanting to spend more time with Varun than the others. Wanting Varun all to himself. Wanting to impress Varun. But hey, that's normal. They were best friends after all.
Then Adrian caught himself thinking about Varun, and not just ordinary straight thoughts either. That's when he realised he was what he made fun of all the time, different.
What followed was a period of intense self-withdrawal. Adrian avoided talking to everybody, especially Varun. He was worried he would say too much. All his friends were worried about him, Varun included. What's wrong with you dude, they asked. He almost told them.
Then self-deprecation turned to justification. So what if he was not like the others? What was so wrong in being different? They would understand. They'd been his friends since the 6th standard. That was 5 whole years. Yeah, he'd heard them make gay jokes, heck, he'd even made them himself. But they wouldn't cast him out. Specially not Varun. Maybe... maybe Varun would reciprocate his feelings.
So he decided to come out of the closet. He told Varun what he'd become and of his feelings for him. Varun reacted like every adolescent homophobic teenager - with disbelief. "Are you serious man?"
Disbelief quickly turned into revulsion. He avoided Adrian as much as he could. Now Adrian was Gaydrian. Now no one passed the school's best midfielder the ball, for fear of getting too close to him. Now they didn't tell him about practice sessions.
Adrian returned to the present. At least his parents had been supportive. They understood. After Varun's rejection, he hadn't even tried making his other friends sympathise with his plight. Varun had taken to incessantly passing snide comments whenever Adrian was in earshot.
And the worst part was, Adrian continued to love Varun. His bruised heart continued to beat with the hope that Varun might one day care for him again, even if it was just as a friend.
30 Years Later
It never happened. Adrian changed schools the next year, wisely deciding never to reveal his sexual orientation. His parents did not talk about it, and neither did he. He graduated from college, to his friends he was a quiet withdrawn guy, who did not make a single friend. His parents did not bring up the question of getting married, and Adrian never did.
Varun grew up a popular guy, with loads of girlfriends along the way. He got married, fathered a pair of twins, and to everyone was the perfect middle-class husband. He never acted otherwise.
Now Adrian is 46 and alone, all because of a 16 year old teenager who once broke his heart. He never told his secret to anyone again. Nobody knew the real Adrian his entire life. Nobody but me, that is. Varun Malhotra.
I wish I'd told Adrian the reason I'd reacted with such hostility. Life would have turned out so differently for both of us if I had. Adrian had brought to the surface the fears I was having about being gay myself. I too, had increasingly become obsessed with Adrian. I never admitted to myself though, that it was anything more than a healthy friendship. When he told me the truth that eventful afternoon, I chose to walk away from it rather than embrace who I was. In Adrian I saw who I could become - the gay kid everyone made fun of. To protect myself from the same ridicule as Adrian, I spearheaded the anti-gay brigade against him. I never admitted my feelings about him to anyone, including myself.
In this world, it is better not to be different. You are crushed if you are.

44 comments:

  1. amazing. i love how this is so hard-hitting and HONEST, without being verbose.

    'he was what he made fun of'. you should send this in for the school magazine. or something. every teenager should read this, i swear.

    loved the end. way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EE! my first comment! :D :D Thanks! :D :D
    The effing school magazine won't accept this :|
    "Inappropriate"

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliantly written story! :)
    seriously i think u should start wriring more often
    and very subtly written!
    really should written by all the ppl who are repulsive to fact that such ppl exist in this world

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unexpected ending.. The story is just excellent. Start writing! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow.. for once i have absolutely no snide comment to pass... it just kept me so silent while readin which doesn normally happen yeah cause i normally pick out faults or errors in most writings especially if the writer has asked me to.. but i guess its the way that the story was so well put together that i couldnt honestly find anythin worng ya was brilliant.. at the end i was like- ey wait no i have to criticise this but heck this just dint let me ya... really good.. maybe u aint that dum after all eh ghosh?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome Asmita
    -Ravneet

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHOAAA 5 comments :D
    THANKS FOR READING THIS GUYS!!
    Divij.. haha finallyyyy!! I beat Pooja???? :P Thanks for the comments man :)
    Vams.. woohoo u read this by today! yay! :D and yeah this was kind of an effort to sensitize people to homosexuality.
    Vaishali.. thanks di!!! yeah i really wanna :)
    Ravneet.. thank u! means a lot coming from a genius like u! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is all tooo familiar a story..:/...
    and LOLOL i always knew u were secretly gay..;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOTHING to say except YOU SUCK SUCKER!
    And yeah.. YOU! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg, wow !!
    just, WOW! this is bloody brilliant . . i LOVE the way you write. n dude, ur givin me other stuff to read written by you the next time you courier 'our' diary! :)
    Kick-ass woman! proudda u :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, WOW. First off, brilliant writing. You've captured Adrian's plight(for the lack of a better word) perfectly and great little twist there at the end. :)


    He was what he made fun of.

    The not-so-open-secret behind every bully's psyche, this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shells! Thanks! Mwah!
    Sush! YAY, blogspot worked for u :D
    Thank you, and very very true about what you said about the bully's psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like my story....
    Poor me!
    (you're varun,,just clarifying!!)
    Hey jokes apart..truly AMAZING.......
    Reading your blog is total fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you.. but who are you??
    Guys please remember to leave ur names!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ria,

    You write really well. I hope you keep this going and please send me updates. There's no better way of developing better writing skills than to actually keep writing and have people read it.

    I must say, very mature writing too. I can now officially stop thinking of you as Jo's little sister :)

    xxx M

    ReplyDelete
  16. Assy! I read this on my iPod, thats why late comment.
    Its really, really good. Like the best thing you've written so far.
    And seriously try and get it in the darpan.
    ooh! and lmao @amy :D

    -Nainu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Malu - Ee! Finally! Also, I still need to develop taste beyond my sister's. :P And thank you!! :)
    Nainu - I'm too scared of GS to try showing this to her. Will stick with the poem for the Darpan. And yeah Amy sucks. :|

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dearest Riu,

    you are a star! I love this!!! Very evocative and sensitive. Also, extremely easy to read. You write wonderfully, my darling. more power to you, and ur pen... i mean, keyboard.

    I've read all your posts. too lazy to comment after each one, hence...

    loved ur 10 hotties tho, can't say i agree with ur choice. Ahem, some familiar names missing?


    Keep writing, may ur tribe increase!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Also, this is based on real life, I presume?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmm...No Asmi.I shall not reveal my identity.I would feel rather embarassed as I really,truly have feelings for you.So its better that you don't know who I am.Your story personifies my life.

    !
    beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  21. amazing!
    especially when you realise its Varun who is narrating.
    way to go I say

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this one!
    best one yet :):)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vickiieeee! U read! Yay :) :) Glad u liked it!!! :) :)
    And haha I know I missed AMIT OUT!! Forgot :( (or are you talking about my very very misplaced affections from the 9th? Haha, he is sooo not on this list!!)

    @ Straighfromtheheart - thanks man! Do you know Atulaa/Vidyuth by any chance? Cuz youre from Cbe I saw on your blog!

    @ Anonymouses - PLEASE leave your identities!! (Also @ my secret admirer - haha, now I have to know who you are! :P)

    @ thebogeyman - NO you tard, this is not based on a true story. When I asked u to comment, Ashwin, this isn't what I meant! :|

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its not a joke.
    Not a very secret admirer.I have confessed a few times before.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You missed an "o". And I commented on what I thought of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Its superb....u are really good at dis

    ReplyDelete
  27. I very kindly commented and you dissed me. Shouldn't insult your readers.

    Also, to be honest, it was pretty good and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Heyy Assy, Superbly written.
    Brilliantt!! Loved the story,& the way u've written it..Extremellly Prodigious!:D Keep it up man..AMAZINGG! Besta luckk! :)
    ~Tann

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Anonymous Secret Admirer - hahahaha Yams!! U are crazy, you know that right?
    @Ashwin - YES that's what I meant when I said comment, :P, thank you!!
    @Tanvi - Thank you ji, thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Assy..i no dis is real late,sorry fr not readin dis earlier..but dis tooooooooooooo good woman!!Its brilliant!!! =D bloody good..seriously!!Pissin off dat v cant print dis in darpan!!:(
    Btw ur writin d 2 articles u promised me rite?! :|

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yams??who's that??
    Lol
    Yea..after 10.50 PM,I'm high.And believe me I do nothing before that.
    But yea...again
    Brilliantismo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good stuff ...keep up the writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. dat reeli rockd
    cme n read few f my posts as well u mite end up lyking a few thoush nt evn close 2 bein as brilliant as urs but....
    ~ritwik

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Adrita - Thank you so much :) Yams is my (FEMALE) crazy friend from PSBB!
    @Karthik - Thank you =)
    @Ritwik - WHOA! Is this like the first compliment you've given me man? Haha, means a lot! Thank you! Reading your blog right now!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Asmita, Ur post on homosexuality is scintillating. U've touched upon something we medicos least bother ...U deserve praise for this work :) God bless U

    ReplyDelete
  36. brilliant...

    Nivedya (The Fate Analyst from DOGEARS)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Err. I tried follow he blog. Random blogging divert, that's me.

    (I wouldn't be asking but you don't seem to have a 'follow' option. I think you have the 'invite to join' thing turned on). Can I follow the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yxorp - I have all of five followers on my blog, so I don't think anything that shouldn't be turned on is. Where is this "invite to join" thing though?
    Although, following my blog would be a little futile, I last updated (on this post) a YEAR ago.

    ReplyDelete
  39. How the hell did you manage to write about a gay guy! :D. It's so non-drama like that too!

    Great piece of work. I liked the no frill style. Serious stuff!

    How did you think of the emotions and stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Trish - I don't know, the idea just struck me on a long drive from Kharagpur to Kolkata! And I don't really know if I've done it justice, until a real life Adrian decides to comment on this!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Woooowww... Awesomely written.. "bruised heart continued to beat with the hope" :) Bestu!! Keep up the good work coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely. Sppechless :) Amazing read, madam :D

    ReplyDelete